* Indicates my advisee
Refereed Journal Articles
- Lisa A. Schulte, Jarad Niemi, Matthew J. Helmers, Matt Liebman, J. Gordon Arbuckle, David E. James, Randall K. Kolka, Matthew E. O’Neal, Mark D. Tomer, John C. Tyndall, Heidi Asbjornsen, Pauline Drobney, Jeri Neal, Gary Van Ryswyk, and Chris Witte (2017) ``Prairie strips improve biodiversity and the delivery of multiple ecosystem services from corn–soybean croplands.’’ Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114(42), 11247-11252. url
- Adam Martin-Schwarze*, Jarad Niemi, and Philip Dixon (2017) ``Assessing the impacts of time to detection distribution assumptions on detection probability estimation.’’ to appear in the Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics url
- Matt Simpson*, Vivek Roy, and Jarad Niemi (2017) ``Interweaving Markov chain Monte Carlo strategies for efficient estimation of dynamic linear models.’’ Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 26(1), 152-159 url
- Lisa Schulte, Anna MacDonald, Jarad Niemi, and Matthew Helmers. (2016) ``Prairie strips as a mechanism to promote land sharing by birds in industrial agricultural landscapes.’’ Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 220: 55-63
- David M. Brenner, Jack Dekker, Jarad Niemi, and Lisa Pfiffner. (2016) ``Medical Oxygen Concentrators for Releasing Seed Dormancy.’’ Crop Science 55:2291-2293 pdf url
- Jarad Niemi, Eric Mittman*, Will Landau*, and Dan Nettleton (2015) ``Empirical Bayes analysis of RNA-seq data for detection of gene expression heterosis.’’ Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistcs, 20(4): 614-628 url
- Robert B. Gramacy, Jarad Niemi, Robin Weiss. (2014) ``Massively parallel approximate Gaussian process regression.’’ SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification 2(1) 564-584. arXiv url pdf DOI
- Daniel Sheinson*, Jarad Niemi, and Wendy Meiring. (2014) ``Comparison of the performance of particle filter algorithms applied to tracking of a disease epidemic.’’ Journal of Mathematical Biosciences, 255, 21-32 url
- Jonathan Dess, Jennifer L. Momsen, Jarad Niemi, Lisa Montplaisir. (2014) ``Student interpretations of phylogenetic trees in an introductory biology course.’’ CBE - Life Sciences Education url
- Jo Eidsvik, Benjamin A. Shaby, Brian J. Reich, Matthew Wheeler*, and Jarad Niemi. (2013) ``Estimation and prediction in spatial models with block composite likelihoods.’’ Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 23:2, 295-315, DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10618600.2012.760460 (url)
- Bernie J Daigle Jr, Min K Roh, Linda R Petzold and Jarad Niemi. (2012) ``Accelerated maximum likelihood parameter estimation for stochastic biochemical systems.’’ BMC Bioinformatics 13:68.
- David Banks, Gauri Datta, Alan Karr, James Lynch, Jarad Niemi, and Francisco Vera. (2012) ``Bayesian CAR models for syndromic surveillance on multiple data streams: theory and practice.’’ Information Fusion: 13(2): 105–116.
- Mike Ludkovski and Jarad B. Niemi. (2010) ``Optimal dynamic policies for influenza management.’’ Statistical Communications in Infectious Diseases: 2(1): 5.
- Jarad B. Niemi and Mike West. (2010), ``Adaptive mixture modelling Metropolis methods for Bayesian analysis of non-linear state-space models.’’ Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics. 19(2): 260–280.
- Quanli Wang, Jarad Niemi, Cheemeng Tan, Lingchong You, and Mike West. (2010), ``Image segmentation and dynamic lineage analysis in single-cell fluorescent microscopy.’’ Cytometry: Part A 77A(1): 101–110
- Jarad Niemi, Brad Carlin, and Jon Alexander. (2008), ``Contrarian strategies for NCAA tournament pools: a cure for March madness?’’ Chance 21(1): 39–46
- Michael J. Simmons, Jarad B. Niemi, Don-Felix Ryzek, Cecile Lamour, Joseph W. Goodman, Wojtek Kraszkiewicz, and Ryan Wolff. (2007), ``Cytotype regulation by telomeric P elements in Drosophila melanogaster: Interactions with P elements from M’ strains.’’ Genetics 176(4): 1957–1966
- Cheemeng Tan, Hao Song, Jarad Niemi, and Lingchong You. (2007), ``A synthetic biology challenge: making cells compute.’’ Molecular BioSystems 3: 343–353
- Kevin J. Haley, Jeremy R. Stuart, John D. Raymond, Jarad B. Niemi, and Michael J. Simmons. (2005), ``Mutations in the Su(var)2-5 gene impair cytotype-mediated regulation of P element activity in Drosophila melanogaster through a Maternal Effect.’’ Genetics 171: 583–595.
- Jarad B. Niemi, John D. Raymond, Ryan Patrek, and Michael J. Simmons. (2004), ``Establishment and maintenance of the P cytotype associated with telomeric P elements in Drosophila melanogaster.’’ Genetics 166: 255–264.
- Michael J. Simmons, John D. Raymond, Jarad B. Niemi, Jeremy R. Stuart, and Peter J. Merriman. (2004), ``The P cytotype in Drosophila melanogaster: A maternally transmitted regulatory state of the germ line associated with telomeric P elements.’’ Genetics 166: 243–254.
- Michael J. Simmons, Kevin J. Haley, Craig D. Grimes, John D. Raymond, and Jarad B. Niemi. (2002), ``A hobo transgene that encodes the P element transposase in Drosophila melanogaster: Autoregulation and cytotype control of transposase activity.’’ Genetics 161: 195–204.
- Jarad B. Niemi and Gerald J. Niemi. ``Linear regression, model averaging, and Bayesian techniques for predicting chemical activities from structure.’’ Ebook chapter on Advances in Mathematical Chemistry: With applications to chemoinformatics, bioinformatics, drug discovery, and predictive toxicology , Editors: Subhash C. Basak, Guillermo Restrepo and Jose Luis Villaveces, Bentham Publishers (accepted)
Refereed Conference Proceeding
- Michael Ludkovski and Jarad Niemi (2011) ``Optimal disease outbreak decisions using stochastic simulation.’’ Proceedings of the 2011 Winter Simulation Conference, eds. S. Jain, R. R. Creasey, J. Himmelspack, K. P. White, and M. Fu.
- Jarad Niemi, Meredith Smith, and David Banks. (2008),``Test power for drug abuse surveillance.’’ in Biosurveillance and Biosecurity, Proceedings of BioSecure 2008, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, eds. Daniel Zeng, Hsinchun Chen, Henry Rolka, and William B. Lober. pp. 131–142
- Ignacio Alvarez, Jarad Niemi, and Matt Simpson. (2014) ``Bayesian inference for a covariance matrix.’’ for the Conference on Applied Statistics in Agriculture
- Jarad Niemi. (2013) ``A Tool for Interactive Disease Outbreak Visualization, Detection, and Forecasting’’ Online Journal of Public Health Informatics
- Jarad Niemi and Michael Ludkovski. (2013) ``Tau-leaped particle learning.’’ Online Journal of Public Health Informatics 5:1 url
- Jarad Niemi and Michael Ludkovski. (2011) ``Optimal sequential management decisions for measles outbreaks.’’ Emerging Health Threats Journal 4 url
- Jarad Niemi. (2011) ``An exploratory analysis of the 2010 measles outbreak in Zimbabwe.’’ Emerging Health Threats Journal 4 url
- Jarad B. Niemi, Michael D. Porter, and Brian J. Reich. (2008), ``Mixture likelihood ratio scan statistic for disease outbreak detection.’’ Advances in Disease Surveillance 5:49
- Jarad B. Niemi. (2010) Dynamic Linear Models with R. The American Statistician 64:3, pg 268 url
- Jarad Niemi and Andrew Gelman. (2011) ``Statistical graphics: making information clear – and beautiful.’’ Significance 8, 135–137
- Jarad B. Niemi. (2010) ``Evaluating individual player contributions to team offense and defense: a model based approach.’’ JSM Proceedings, Section on Statistics in Sports. Vancouver, BC, Canada: American Statistical Association. 4914–4923. pdf
- Jarad B. Niemi and Matthew Wheeler*. ``Efficient Bayesian inference in stochastic chemical kinetic models using graphical processing units.’’ arXiv
- Tim W. Dake, Jarad B. Niemi, Don L. Hughes, Jeff J. Kester, Don B. Compton, Jon J. Calderas, Rich G. Schafermeyer, Kevin P. Christmas. ``Compositions having enhanced aqueous solubility and methods of their preparation.’’ PCT/US2002/014505 filed